Saturday, February 14, 2015

Faye Henderson

          This Wednesday I led an interview with a woman named Faye Henderson. Her husband, John, and she co-pastor a church there in Sanford, and she has a phenomenal voice. Her mother raised her in the state of Florida but they lived in several cities. Faye currently holds a position in Celery Soup’s play this year, using her voice in the rising action of the play.

            Before coming to the interview, it was important for me to think about what I would say during the interview. First I looked her up online and on Facebook to find out basic information about her life. Then I used what I found out to compose questions which might lead to more interesting stories and which would incorporate the themes and keywords which we are thinking about using in our upcoming play. Next I typed up these questions, there were enough to fill an entire page, which is beneficial since I did not know which questions would spark Faye’s interest.

           When I arrived, Trish and I had thirty minutes before the interview to discuss my plan. She asked me to think about which direction the interview might go and how I intended to guide it there. She also critiqued my questions, identifying the most promising questions and cautioning me regarding those questions which would lead to a technical discussion instead of a narrative story. Trish also reminded me how to check the recording devise before and during the interview.

          Our conversation ranged through childhood, to grandparents, love, romance, orange groves, gospel singing, parents, siblings, moving, mentors, and many more topics.        
Overall the interview was a dream... and now I have a lot of transcription work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment