Friday, March 6, 2015

The End... In the Middle

          The highlight of my week was my presentation to the board of Creative Sanford. It was a very cozy affair. They were all together for their monthly meeting, so we pulled eight fold out chairs into the lobby of the Sanford Welcome Center and projected my power point onto a large computer screen. They usually meet in a room in the back of the same building, but we did not think there would be enough room for the presentation.
         Having the chance to present to them was a joy! Although I had met almost all of them previously (by attending the play and interviewing the actor) this was the first time that I got to tell all of them about my internship. It made me wish that I made this presentation earlier so that when they saw me behind the scenes we would have understood each other better. I understand that telling someone what I’ve done before I’ve started is somewhat odd. At first it felt odd to give the presentation in the middle of my internship (although logistics required it). By the end of the presentation I realized that the timing was perfect. As it is, I got some feedback on how I am doing and what they would like to see. If I presented after I finished my internship then their advice could only be little nuggets of wisdom to pass on to the next intern.

          This presentation gave me the opportunity to tell them why I chose Celery Soup, because they do a marvelous job recording and relaying history. That is, the most important parts of history–not merely names and dates and facts. Like most stories or creatively rewritten histories, they were less concerned with facts or details than in the “truth” of experience, be they

moral, spiritual, or psychological nature. As I said in my initial post, I believe that, while names and dates have their place in recording factual events of the past, the most important aspect of history is the transference of memories from one generation to the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment