Friday, April 3, 2015

Change Will Come

                For those who have not seen Celery Soup’s production of Touch and Go (and you should) the title of this article is the name of one of their songs and a theme of their productions. I chose it because this week marks a change in my internship. I am under new supervision (My previous mentor is enjoying her vacation in China, but she will be back in time for my final review.), and my project focus has changed.  Since I have completed by four interviews my new task is organizing the interviews that have already been recorded or transcribed so that the new playwright can easily access them in the future. To that end, I spent time with Linda on Monday as she explained the current state of the documents (a combination of physical transcriptions, digital documents, and audio files) so that I may begin organizing them in an excel document. My first step has been organizing and labeling the digital files (grouping files by interviewer/interviewee). My next step will be sorting through the hard copies so, comparing them to the digital copies (checking for duplicates, etc…) and scanning copies to fill gaps in our digital information.

                Meanwhile, I am also finishing my fourth transcription.

                Something else Linda and I did while we met was travel around downtown Sanford so that she could introduce me to several other people whom Celery Soup wants to interview.

Although it will be impossible to interview and transcribe more interviews, I hope to at least conduct one or two more interviews for the database. Honestly, the interview is my favorite part of this process. The other aspects necessary and somewhat engaging, but I absolutely love talking to the people. I love hearing the new stories. I guess that makes me an extrovert? 

No comments:

Post a Comment