Friday, April 10, 2015

So. Much. Paper.

       The last time that I walked into the optometrist for an appointment I noticed that they still kept their files in physical copies, and I wondered, why? It seems so inefficient. It seems like a difficult database to search since it is stacks and filing cabinets of paper. I now know why. It takes an incredibly long time to transfer information from hard-copy to digital database, especially if it is not impeccably organized to begin with.
       When I started my new task I thought that it would be a decent amount of work, but I had no idea of exactly how much. I hoped that I would have time to conduct more interviews. If I do have enough time for more interviews it will be a miracle. Right now I am almost overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of paperwork.

       This week I started organizing and labeling documents so that I can scan them into a digital file and then incorporate that file as a hyperlink into an excel document so that Jules Corriere, the new playwright, can make good use of the information that we already have.  

       I am really proud of myself for not getting a paper cut… yet, but I did get a crook in my neck.

Instead of the earlier work that I was doing (which required my interaction with other people) this job is really lonely. To some degree that is good. The office where I am working is secluded, so I can take off my shoes and listen to music while I sort and file and scan and list. It is nice to create my own work environment, but I do miss talking with people.

No comments:

Post a Comment